Sunday 5 June 2011

If Asleep, now with a dash of colour.

Couldn't resist adding a wee splash of colour to the previous post. I really like the contrast it gives between the pallid greys of the vampire and the glowing sandy beach. Amps up the gag a bit more. I've also posted some doodles I did after finishing the illustration friday picture. I guess I had vampires on the brain! They are based on the intensely spooky Nosferatu film from 1922. I don't know about you but, even now, Max Schreck's performance in that gives me the heebie jeebies.  I think the skippy frame rate and disjointed effects in silent films create a weird, unnerving feel even before you get onto the vampire subject matter. It really goes to show you don't need all the CGI Hollywood bells and whistles (or even dialogue) so long as the story and performances are top notch. And as for 3D movies... don't get me started!!! The Fast Show did a pretty fine take on Nosferatu too :-) Sleep tight... don't let the vampires bite!

4 comments:

Skulleigh said...

I like the punch the color gives to the picture, but for some reason I didn't notice the bats till I saw the black and white version (my reader was going newer to older so I saw them backwards).

I've always meant to watch Nosferatu. I should see if it's on Netflix today.

Kev Levell said...

Monster, Monster!

Lovely work Matt, one suggestion for an addition though, perhaps a punctured beachball with two fang pin pricks?

Particularly like the little sunglasses!

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

The sketches are great...and I like the color version, too (although I think both work well).

kousalya said...

Hi there, awesome site. I thought the topics you posted on were very interesting.
I tried to add your RSS to my feed reader and it a few. take a look at it, hopefully I can add you and follow.




Vehicle Telematics