Wednesday 9 December 2009

There's a Lion in my Bathroom - sketches 14




Here's the last but one set of sketches for the book. Saving the real villains of the piece till the end its time for the dastardly barbecue "Dragons" (BBQ Dragons... is that a good name for a band...?!). These nasty pieces of work barbecue chopped up children! Dragons are always fun to draw and I started sketching these wanting to incorporate aspects of some alligator sketches from my website into the mix. As I always seem to do when I have a mental image I just cannot quite get down on paper I ended up by sketching all the freshness out of my character designs. Two very quick ink doodles I scribbled down (sheets two and three left hand side black ink sketches) had something of the quirky, fun evil quality I just wasn't getting in my more labored sketches and, long story short, I used them enlarged on the light box as loose underdrawings. To my great surprise they held together and I managed to get out some what I was after from inside my addled brain (especially on my favourite on sheet 3). I was determined to steer clear of drawing conventional style flames in these (I wanted the flames more dragony) and, I hope, the afterthought addition of the 'looney tunes' post explosion soot blast helps to tie BBQ and chef together.

5 comments:

Phil Toodle said...

More fantastic work Matt, this book is going to be a winner for sure.

Kev Levell said...

Beautiful stuff - The Dragon is brilliant. What else can I say? Superlatives escape me.

verification: predue the status your amazon order will be in until the new year.

Chris Kennett said...

Wow, I'm REALLy going to buy a copy of this book when it comes out.

ArtSparker said...

Beautiful reverse flames, and the dragon character is charming.

muebles en valdemoro said...

For my part one and all have to go through this.