Sunday 27 March 2011

The last Dodo...



Well my screen print thing is next saturday and I cannot help but keep trying out various ideas on what to print. Still with the bird theme for some reason (I do find some birds seemingly preposterous legs set too far back for their centre of gravity stance endlessly amusing...) I'm trying out a Dodo design which has a more decorative, retro, patterned graphic look.

I think the humble Dodo makes an interesting subject as it has a number of themes going on. It's humorous character (thanks in part to Lewis Carroll, Tenniel and also the many and varied engravings, drawings and paintings made from accounts while it was still around), the obvious message of conservation verses extinction of species and also an almost mythic quality. Despite having had existed, I don't know about you but, for me it's almost as if the Dodo is a fictitious creature that has been conjured up to teach us a worthy lesson...

7 comments:

Drake Brodahl (pumml) said...

Matt,

The Dodo will make an awesome print. I will say you might've set yourself up for a bit of figuring to try to get those colors layered the way you want with a minimum amount of screens to burn/pull, but it should be a fun exercise. Looking forward to the final product!

Eric Barclay said...

This would make a lovely print. Just fantastic, actually. Screen printing class is on my to-do list... looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Gabby Zapata said...

This is awesome. I love it! :) The shapes really make em stand out!

Kev Levell said...

now that's got legs ;-)

see what I did there?

Definitely go with this one for the screen print. It really works. Quirky and fun, but with the serious message - it's a winner.

salli s. swindell said...

Do the dodo!! the egg is great. print workshop sounds very fun...

Phil Toodle said...

Matt, I think you might be an actual screenprinting genius.

bee said...

Winner! This is my fave potential screen print design so far. Awesome design work :)