Monday 20 July 2009

Giant steps were what we took...40 years ago!


At the risk of adding to all the Apollo hullabaloo here's my little commemoration of those momentous few days. I really wish I was around to share in the world wide event 40 years back. I would have loved to stay up till 3am to see Armstrong's 'small feet' and mankind's giant ones. Who knows, If NASA, or China, or Russia, or maybe even Virgin Galactic manage it I could very well live to see another moon landing (this one in colour with advert breaks for travel insurance...!). To head off any pedantic comments I know the Saturn V rocket didn't get all the way to the moon but allow me artistic license... it's my way of referencing the Lumiere bros Trip to (poke) the Moon (in the eye) iconic image as well. I wanted to get Noel Fielding's Mighty Boosh d'moon in there too somehow but thought better of it. Happy birthday Apollo 11 Now can I get this posted right on the very minute they landed...321
(it may say 20:07, but I did post at 20:17, honest).

7 comments:

Phil Toodle said...

Happy Birthday indeed. One of the most important days in humanity's history, if not the most important day. A perfect Birthday card, well done.

ArtSparker said...

Very sweet mashup.

Kev Levell said...

Lovely. I especially like the nod to Georges Méliès that's evident in this too!

Owl Eng said...

Cool!

Roberto Aceves said...

Brilliant! :-)

Atsi-Batsi said...

I love those two little austronauts on top of the moon!

A Quiet Life said...

i finally remembered what your art reminds me of...ever read "stinky cheese man"? :)
anyways, i like this moon, he seems curious about the two mini guys on his head & not as all perturbed that there*s a rocket through his face.