Sunday 20 January 2008

The villain of the piece.


Finally I have a finished first draft of the new lighthouse story which I am relatively happy with. I have to redraft and also get my US agents comments but I can now start getting into the visuals.

For anyone who is keeping track (and I wouldn't blame you if you were losing interest) the lighthouse now has more of a background role in the story. It has it's uses as a location but the focal point to the story has shifted (and very rightly so) more to the protagonist Victor (bye Magnus...) and the Villain of the piece... the horrible, greedy old octopus. I did some rough sketches over xmas and the piece posted here is my first working up of those very rough ideas. I'm a little worried that this octopus might well be too scary for younger readers (possibly too toothy) so I think I need to play up the greedy qualities that bit more with the next sketch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt, like the puss.

Ciaran said...

Ooh, really nice work. I see your point about the scariness.
I think you might be right, the relatively small angry pointy mouth and tiny eyes send it firmly into the 'evil bastard bad guy' type and not so much into the sort of 'comical, pantomime bad guy' that children can boo and laugh at.
I don't know enough about children's books but I'd be interested to see something like this in the context of the rest of the book, it might be really scary in a very good way :)
Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Cool octopus, wouldn't want to see that in real life though.

Jacqueline Hudon-Verrelli said...

I think he looks great although I do agree he might be a bit scary. His tentacles, however, are fabulous. I love how jagged they are and the way they curl. I also like the colour and the texture. He pops off that dark blue background quite nicely.